Quotations

Remarks poets made beyond their poems — letters, journals, conversation — gathered as a readable library. Browse by topic or author, or search the words themselves. Currently 7,465 active remarks.

Choose another topic

Topic: Exile

Showing 16 of 16

“I would like to know everything. Your country seems so beautiful to me when I have almost no hope of seeing it, when I cannot even think of returning.”

Original: Ja bym chciał wiedzieć o wszystkim. Wasz kraj tak mi się pięknym wydaje, kiedy nie mam prawie nadziei widzieć go, kiedy — o powrocie ani myśleć. — Exile transforms his homeland into something increasingly precious through distance. · Letter to his mother, 24 January 1832 (Polish)

“The years pass; I lead a stupid existence, I accumulate no income, and I shall never achieve what I want in these countries.”

Original: Les années se passent, je mène une existence stupide, je n’amasse pas de rentes, je n’arriverai jamais à ce que je voudrais, dans ces pays. — The remark conveys Rimbaud’s frustration with the gap between his ambitions and the life he was actually leading. · Letter from Aden, 15 January 1885 (French)

Skip to main content